Sunday, November 3, 2013

THERE IS A GIFT IN EVERYTHING




I have learned to trust that every experience, regardless of how it may appear, holds a lesson and a gift. Even when it looks like I am trapped in a corner, where I may not feel like I can manage or hold my own, I keep faith.

Recently, my husband and I have had to reflect on our martial arts journey, and make some adjustments in our training due to property rights. Since his departure from our old dojo limits him as a result of a contract, he will not be able to join me at State of Mind until next summer when the non compete clause is no longer in effect. It is easy to take this barrier as a problem. However, what a beautiful opportunity to relax, learn with a new teacher and feel the freedom of not having the responsibilities of managing a business accompanied by long hours away from loved ones.

What I have learned through my experience at the old dojo is that being a manager is difficult, that holding space for others can be very expensive and sometimes takes away from the basic idea of sharing an art. It is also much more rewarding to give birth to my own dojo and express our own heartfelt values. The fantasy of being part of a traditional family sometimes, is only that; an illusion. What matters to me is integrity.

There is much more to share on this subject and on our new adventure with American Kenpo, but for now, I leave you with this small video. 

*Crossing Talon is a technique I have learned already. American Kenpo has similar if not exact moves as the Kenpo I know (sometimes it's just arranged differently or with a different name.) The main thing I would like to point out is his GM Larry Tatum's style. This man has been sensei Jason's role model for a long time, and when we cut ties with the old dojo, I asked Jason what he would like to do if all his dream could come true and money was not an issue.

 His answer was: "I would learn under Larry Tatum..."

So we called him!

I am pleased to announce that State of Mind will be affiliated with Grandmaster Larry Tatum.




After seeing this particular videoclip, I can see where my teacher, sensei Jason Kanzan Boyd comes from in his gentle yet deadly instruction. I understand where he want to bring his own art, and I see that there is much for me to learn still.  I am thankful for all the past fellow martial artists who have crossed my path and contributed to my own art.
 I also do not hold the same ideas about authority as my husband does, and feel no shame in saying that sometimes, it's time to move on and break away from what no longer serves us. I respectfully bow to all of you who came to teach us, in one way or another, that we are worthy of the new dojo we now call HOME.


My special thanks go out to:


KOSEN ESHU, OSHO, ABBOT OF ZENWEST 
(for teaching me the value of zen practice)


sifu JIM KRAGTWYK
sensei DEAN HOUSTON
sensei GREG LAMOTHE
sensei MIKE MARTELLE
sensei ARI KNAZAN
sensei KEITH VARGA
sensei MICHAEL TURNER
sensei BRIAN SHEW
KEANA and ZENA 
MICHIYO SHEW

Grandmaster RALPH CHINNICK
Grandmaster AL TRACY

All of our friends and students past and present,
OUR FAMILIES

my beautiful son
 DAE

and humble husband


☯sensei JASON KANZAN BOYD☯







1 comment:

What say you?