Tuesday, July 1, 2014

EXCUSES EXCUSES…


As a martial arts instructor, one thing I hear often is: "I need to get in shape before attending your class."

A statement like this, I think is an indication that something else may be going on.  It often is much more about appearances than fitness. Being in a group may be part of the problem since it can raise some issues of comparison. Regardless of our experience, we are all different. The truth of the matter is, we can benefit from learning self defence, regardless of our physical shape and cardio ability, and martial arts training is an excellent practice for people in general, athletic or not. One solution is to begin with private instruction, but that too can be a challenging experience.

We've all heard the statement NO PAIN NO GAIN!

That in itself can scare away many students. It is a philosophy I have heard most often with younger men, but it is everywhere. Even though I value that many instructors hold the belief that self defence is similar to getting ready for war, and that cardio training is a vital part of survival, I also believe that it is possible to train effectively without pushing ourselves to injury and burnout. Pushing ourselves beyond our comfort zone is an entirely different issue. Some martial arts schools or dojos do not focus on cardiovascular and muscle development workout (skipping, pushups, jumping jacks, sprinting, etc.) Such exercises are usually done in order to support the foundational aspects or martial arts since some concepts can be difficult to execute and require muscle strength, flexibility and speed. However the intensity of the technical training through repetition and good form benefits the body, mind and spirit equally as well. We can also supplement on our time by participating in sports or yoga, participate in extra curricular activities that focus on fitness with other members, or ask our sensei for more input on that topic.

I am known for being a hard ass teacher, and some of my classes are very difficult. I have a military background and I have always been pretty YANG in training. The average martial artist actually thrives under challenging conditions. But it has become clear to me after struggling with joint pain for the past couple years, that I had to rethink my training and therefore my teaching. Of course, I know some practitioners and instructors who wish for me to push through the pain, but I know myself. I think it's important to listen to our body and to be honest with ourselves. I'm also quite resistant to buying a million health product for proper management, and I am want to remain drug and surgery free if possible. I have already had a few significant injuries through training, one of which could have been prevented by utilizing discernment and being wiser. I was too busy trying to impress my instructor!

I will not give you a lesson on EGO, however, I will caution you about not giving into its games. It's unfortunate that something as useful as first aid and martial arts are optional and not considered for public school curriculum.  I can attest to the fact that it is highly beneficial for many reasons, one of which is clarity of mind. From that place of balance, I can make decisions for myself and my practice  feels solid. I am a very open minded person, but I am also very strong and spirited, so it can be tough to convince me if I can't see the value in your philosophy, however skilled you may be in debate. One tool I use to make decisions is meditation, and I have incorporated it in my classes for adults and children.

So what of physical conditioning?

I would like to believe that it is self evident that being healthy is something we should value highly, and that common sense points to the fact that being fit makes defending ourselves that much easier. So what exactly do YOU need to get in the dojo? Some would say discipline. I'm actually not a big fan of that word, or concept. I would like to think that inspiration is a more reliable source of motivation. I practice that with my son as a matter of fact. Apparently, people think I am a highly disciplined person. I would disagree. I can see how that could be perceived as such, but I'm very easily bored with routine. I simply have a very strong operating system because I have experienced what the consequences are if I don't do what is best for me. It's much more a matter of cause and effect than process. I allow my body to move according to what makes it happy. My mind on the other hand, doesn't always agree. That is where meditation comes into play. Practicing inquiry has been a very big part of my practice this past year, and it has served in being at peace with those places where my body and mind seem to be at war.

So if you KNOW that self defence is a pretty good idea, and that a class is calling you but your mind is coming up with excuses not to attend, however valid those excuses may be, you owe it to yourself to at least question your thoughts and get to the bottom of this issue.

After all, the only thing that comes from a split mind, is guilt.

So if you would like to explore this with someone, go right ahead and contact me. I'll be happy to guide you in the best direction for YOU!

It's my specialty after all…

J Kaikan Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?